- 衛生動物 (ISSN:04247086)
- vol.64, no.4, pp.223-226, 2013-12-25 (Released:2014-06-25)
Centipedes are nocturnally active arthropods, which mainly live in fields but often invade indoors. Centipede bites are common, but it has been reported that approximately 1% of centipede bites lead to anaphylactic symptoms. However, in Japan, few cases of anaphylactic symptoms after centipede bites have been reported. We report here a case of anaphylactic shock after a centipede bite, and the characteristics of 16 patients with centipede bites at Himeshima National Health Insurance Clinic in Himeshima village, Oita, Japan, between June 2010 and May 2013.A 59-year-old Japanese man had experienced a centipede bite 2 years previously. He again experienced a centipede bite while asleep, and his body developed a red flare, his consciousness became unclear, and his blood pressure was low. We diagnosed him with anaphylactic shock, and saved his life by appropriate treatment.Considering the 16 patients with centipede bites at Himeshima National Health Insurance Clinic between June 2010 and May 2013 and some case reports about centipede bites, we think that the main risks of shock due to centipede bites are anaphylactic reaction, repeated exposure to centipede poison and bee poison, and injuries to the head and face. Appropriate therapies for cases with slight injuries due to centipede bite are pain control and steroid external medication including antibacterial drugs.