- 純心人文研究 (ISSN:13412027)
- vol.10, pp.31-43, 2004-03-01
Peiron was introduced from China, and accepted by the people of the thirty-six seafaring towns in Nagasaki, spreading gradually over the sea-board area around Nagasaki with the inclusion of ceremonial rites. In particular, the people living on the opposite side of Nagasaki port, a place not considered within city limits at the time, became important participants in the peiron races in Nagasaki port during the Edo period. Though peiron races in nagasaki port had disappeared because of the ban on the race in 1801, they were restored in the Meiji era. In 1924, the Nagasaki Peiron Association was established by several young men's associations in the Fuchi district that is located on the opposite side of Nagasaki port, and this association managed the peiron race in Nagasaki port. The organization of these young men's association have also performed important roles since the Meiji period. During the War in the Pacific, peiron racing was discontinued again, and the organization's management disappeared. The current Nagasaki Peiron Championship began when the Nagasaki "Port Festival" was held in 1956. In 1977, the New Nagasaki Peiron Association, which was established mainly by the Nagasaki city Tourist Bureau, held a meet for Nagasaki Peirin Racing. Entrants for the race were teams in rural districts around Nagasaki city. Now this meet is managed by the Nagasaki Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and the Nagasaki International Tourism and Convention Association. Thus, it must be observed that peiron racing in Nagasaki port has encountered substantial changes in the participants and the organization's management.